Markham Creates Community Challenge - Submission Rules
1. The Markham Creates Community Challenge is open to Markham residents of all ages, backgrounds and abilities (non-professional/amateur), who are members of the City of Markham community (as determined by the City of Markham, in its sole discretion). Eligible applicants include those individuals who were born in the City of Markham, or who live, work, go to school, own a business, or are affiliated with an arts organization in the City of Markham. Proof may be requested by the City of Markham.
2. No purchase / fees are necessary to participate in the challenge. In order to participate in the challenge, the Application Form must be completed by the Applicant (and the parent or legal guardian of the Applicant, if the Applicant is under the age of 18). Applicants selected to perform/showcase or display at the live performances/exhibitions will be required to present a signed consent/release form prior to the exhibition/and/or performance.
3. Applicants must submit a completed Applicant Form and adhere to all parameters stipulated in regards to file and video submission size and/or time length in the applicable category. Any submission running over the maximum video time limit or file size limit will be disqualified. The YouTube or Vimeo video time stamp will be used to measure time.
4. Profane language, hate messages or inappropriate lyrics, actions or content that are not suitable for a family audience (as determined by judges) will not be accepted. The adjudicating panel reserves the right to disqualify any submission containing any of the aforementioned.
5. An individual may not enter the challenge if they are:
- a City of Markham staff member
- a Member of the City of Markham Council
- Members of a judge’s immediate family
6. Five finalists for each category will be selected and contacted in mid-June.
7. The top five finalists will be announced publicly through City of Markham social media and online outlets.
8. The finalists of the challenge must be available and commit to appearing virtually (actual announcement may be pre-recorded – date to be determined) and commit to the mentoring program and final exhibition or performance – date to be determined. In the event that the finalist is unable to participate in the events listed for any reason, the City of Markham reserves the right to remove the finalist from the challenge and provide another applicant the opportunity to participate instead.
9. By submitting an Application Form, the Applicant (and the parent / legal guardian of the Applicant if the Applicant is under the age of 18):
- Agrees to comply with and be bound by the Submission Rules.
- Consents to the collection and use of personal information by the City of Markham for the purpose of administering the Markham Creates Challenge. The City of Markham will not sell, share or otherwise disclose personal information to third parties, other than to third parties engaged by the City of Markham to fulfill the foregoing purpose, or as permitted or required by law.
- Consents and authorizes the City of Markham to use (in any media whatsoever) the Applicant’s name, image, photograph, audio and/or video recording and all content submitted by the Applicant for the Markham Creates Community Challenge for any City of Markham purpose (including, without limitation, for publicity and advertisement purposes related to the challenge or future challenges). Such consent is given for no fee or financial compensation of any kind, now or in the future.
- Agrees that all costs and expenses associated with any and all materials required for submission in the challenge are the sole responsibility of the Applicant.
- Releases the City of Markham, its elected officials, directors, officers, employees, agents, sponsors, judges and volunteers (the “Releasees”) from any loss, damage, injury or expense, which the Applicant may suffer or incur as a result of their participation in the challenge (including any live performance), however caused, and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Releasees from and against all liability or claims which may result from, or is any way connected with, the Applicant’s participation in the challenge (including any live performance).
- The Markham Creates Community Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal laws and regulations.
10. Applicants may submit only one Application Form per challenge category.
11. All submission content must be authentic and created by the applicant. Each category submission has additional requirements itemized below: Refer to your submission category for details
- Performing Arts Category Videos must be a live recording. Videos that have voiceovers (for vocal submission) will not be accepted. All work submitted for the challenge must represent how the Applicant would be performing in the live performance if selected as a finalist.
- Visual Arts Category All submissions must be original works created in the last 12 months and be an authentic representation of the applicant’s work for the finalist round if selected.
- Exhibit Design Category All submissions must be original works created in the last 12 months and be an authentic representation of the applicant’s work for the finalist round if selected.
- Creative Writing Category All submissions must be original works created in the last 12 months and be an authentic representation of the applicant’s work for the finalist round if selected.
12. Copyright of all submissions shall remain the property of the Applicant who shall grant the City of Markham the irrevocable, paid-up, royalty-free right and license to exhibit the work in public and to reproduce the work where the City sees fit, and in any media whatsoever, including but not limited to the City’s website, social media, posters, advertising, brochures and other similar uses.
13. The City of Markham reserves the right to disqualify any incomplete Application Forms (including Application Forms containing YouTube or Vimeo submissions or files that cannot be accessed).
14. The City of Markham reserves the right, at any time, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility from any Applicant. All information requested by and supplied to the City of Markham and/or the judges by the Applicant must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading. The City of Markham reserves the right to disqualify any Applicant who fails to comply with the foregoing.
15. In the event of any dispute concerning the operation of any element of the completion or the Submission Rules, the decision of the City of Markham shall be final and binding.
16. They City of Markham reserves the right to change or replace any mentoring artists for each category if required.